Serves up to 4 people
- 6 large eggplants peeled
- 1 ½ cup EVOO
- 2 bulbs garlic peeled
- 1 lb. grated Mozzarella
32 oz. (large) Ricotta softened
- 10 oz. plain Chevre goat cheese softened
- 1 ½ cup grated Parmesan or Asiago
- 2 TBS pesto
- 1 egg
Best paired with...
Season Cellars Malbec
Bursting aromas of violets and lavender succumb to a luscious mouthful of Marion berry pie, which keeps you coming back for more. Enjoy with hearty full flavored dishes, chévre or by itself.
- GOLD – NEWPORT SEAFOOD & WINE FESTIVAL 2021
- GOLD – OREGON WINE AWADS 2021
- SILVER – SIP MCMINNVILLE 2021
- SILVER – SAVOR NW WINE AWARDS 2021
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1.5 hours
Serves: 4 guests
Cooking times are approximate.
This is a favorite dish of ours and one we’ve done for years. We’ve saved this one for the right time to share it with our club members and here it is. This recipe is easy but takes about 2 ½ hours to make from scratch. It’s worth it, with this size ingredient list we used a 15×11 roasting pan about 2 ¾ inch deep and it will yield at least 12 servings. It’s a little bit of a process so making extra means… leftovers! If you are using a regular 9×13 you will want to reduce the ingredients and probably go for 3 layers of goodies instead of 4.
- Begin preparing the spaghetti sauce so that it has time to cook while preparing the eggplant.
- Slice eggplant ¼ inch thick and place on large cookie sheet.
- Press garlic into olive oil. Baste eggplant generously with the olive oil and bake at 420 for about 25 mins.
- With two oven racks you can do two sheets at a time. Six eggplant should get you 4 to 5 large cookie sheets full. When done put eggplant slices on cookie rack to cool while doing the next sheet. Meanwhile combine all cheese ingredients together and mix thoroughly.
- When sauce, eggplant and cheese are ready you can start building lasagna. I write this as if you’ve never assembled a lasagna which I’m sure most of you have, this is how we do it. You’re looking for 4 layers of eggplant each with a layer of sauce, 2 layers of ricotta mix and mozzarella on top.
- First, ladle a small amount of sauce and using wide spatula spread over bottom on dish so as not to stick.
- Next arrange a layer of eggplant and then spread about a quarter of the sauce (2 ladles) over the eggplant using the spatula. Repeat another layer of eggplant and layer of sauce.
- Using the spatula spread about half of the ricotta mixture over lasagna. Repeat another layer of eggplant then sauce then the other half of ricotta mixture.
- Arrange the last layer of eggplant and spread remaining sauce.
- Top with mozzarella and bake uncovered for an hour or so at 350 until cheese is golden brown.
- Allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before serving with green salad and garlic bread.
- Serve with Season Cellars Malbec and enjoy!
Interested in more recipes?
Consider being a part of the family and join our Wine Club for exclusive offers and newsletters, which include quarterly recipes.